Friday, September 3, 2010

Humbled By Injury

For those who know me well. I love to be active, play sports. But above all, I love to play basketball. I grew up playing soccer for 12 years. But once I picked up, a basketball, soccer was an afterthought.

Recently, I haven't been able to play basketball, due to injury. But when I play, I play very physical, very aggressive and I talk trash. I try to get into the opponents head. I've had plenty of confrontations and altercations, because of my feistiness. Needless, to say I play with passion. I exert a lot of energy physically, mentally, and emotionally.

I use to think I could play through anything. Since the injury I push myself to play, telling myself, that I could handle it. I was sadly mistaken, if anything I aggravated my injury. My physical therapist scolded me, and said no basketball for at least a month. The key word at least.

So since, the injury I've had ample time to reflect on many things. First, that many us, have this ego problem that propels us to over extend ourselves. Which in time, will lead to failure. For example, if a student who is a A student. Butthinks they don't need to study, because they are so smart. In result, they will eventually receive an B or lower.

So in my case, I pulled something and thought it was okay. It got worse and worse, but I remained stubborn and played. There comes a point in time that, we must be humbled to be able to sit down and see what we are really doing. It was only a matter of time. My attitude was I'm not going to get injured, because I've never been injured playing basketball. And it happened.

The thought that still lingers in my mind is....... Do we hurt ourselves, people, and things we love by doing too much?

No comments: