Thursday, April 24, 2008

A Lesson On Listening

I was at work today in the middle of my 5 hour shift(grueling I know). I work at goodwill my job there. Is to gather all the priced stuff, and make sure it makes it to the store racks. At goodwill we have a lot of volunteers (people in the red vest).

The volunteers most of the time are fulfilling community service hours given to them in court. The volunteers are all there for different reasons. But, most time it's due to possession of marijuana, resisting arrest, or drinking while driving. But, today I met a volunteer who gave me a whole different outlook at life. You know how you run into people. Who are glad just to be alive. Well this volunteer was assigned to the floor which I'm in charge of. I introduced myself, told him what to do. Then we started talked talking I told my story, then he told me his.

This volunteer story was very humbling to me. He was doing hours for drinking while driving. But, when he was driving while drinking he crashed and flew out of his windshield. His girlfriend was in the car and only got minor injuries. In the crash this guy lost his ear, he lost some of his memory. He also had several charges against him. He told me in a very humorous and sincere way. That God allowed the lost of his ear, because of his stubbornness. He simply said that he refused to hear God. He then said jokingly that he now hears God all the time. His story hit me fast and hard. I went home sat all my "problems" down. It made me think am I listening to the voice of JESUS?. If so would I maintain it? Am I seeking it? It's very easy to block out the voice of God. It's easy to do our own thing. I sat on my bed indian style and yelled out in tears LORD I'M ALL EARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Jeff Reininger said...

are you listening? obeying without questioning?