Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Stuck


Every Monday night is truly unique and humbling. For two plus years, every Monday I've gone to feed the homeless. I have learned much from this whole experience. In several different capacities I've grown to being a better person and Christ follower. But one reoccurring theme that presents its self every Monday, is why they are down there.

You really can't pinpoint a specific reason for all. Sure some abuse some kind of substance, or from a country south of the border. But what I've come to find out, is that there stuck. Several elements drag, force, and allow them to be down there.

But I'm beginning to see it, in a different light. Before I did this, I felt sorry for them. But I wanted nothing to with them. It was like a zoo for me, every time I went under the bridge. It was like a tour, " on your left is the crack whore, to your right is a drunk man, that smells like feces, and right in front of us, is a Mexican gang banger, hitting a joint, with an array of tattoos.

I pitied them, in a bad way. It was there fault they were down there. Why should I help someone, who doesn't want to be helped? Well God worked on my hear to say the least. Time went on ......
As I got to know the people under the bridge. I realized a lot wanted out, a lot were desperate to change, they wanted to change. They were, just stuck in a hard situation. That the reasons for them being down there, are more complex then we realize. A lot of factors come into play.
Sure they have made mistakes that have brought them down there. But we all make mistakes. Just because, most of us, live comfortably and have the essentials. Does not make us, better then people who have nothing.

During my time down there I've heard many stories. I've come to love these people for who they are. To care about what's going on in their lives. To take a genuine, real approach to helping them.
The underline point being, we get stuck sometimes. It may not lead us, to the streets. But we get stuck and we want to get unstuck. But we need help. This is my challenge to find the stuck and help in the process of "unstucking".

Like everything else, it is a process.
But a process that we are called to do.

A process that I have benefited from and more many.

No comments: