Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Haiti And My Place In The World


There I was sitting in my economics class learning about opportunity cost, comparative advantage, and all the fancy economic jargon you can think of, my mind was on the Haitians. The last thing Haiti needed was a earthquake, especially in their capital city Port - Au -Prince. As I started watching the coverage. All I could do is look on in sadness, the sheer chaos, the dead bodies.

I wanted to be there to shovel the rubble, to help the those who are seeking food. I much rather be in Haiti then in my economics class. But as soon as I thought that. I stopped myself, to recollect my thoughts.

For those who know me. I love helping people, especially those in dire need. I would love to help the people of Haiti. But its not my time, or place. What do I mean? Well, if it were up to me. I would be helping people all the time. But God has something else in mind. Currently, I'm in school and almost everyday. I think to myself, and ask, why am I in this class?!! I could be somewhere around the world help those in need. I would feel much more productive doing that.

But as I was humbled from my "I'm going to the change the world mentality" I'm finally beginning to see the reason for going to school. Education will allow me, to help the least of these even more. It will open doors, that I would have never thought of. The whole process of me, going to school is simply preparation. God in is all surpass wisdom, knows I'm not ready, equipped, for what he has for me.

Its a sobering reminder that God changes, not you or me. When I finish school I will mostly likely be in a different country helping the poor. I know the job will be difficult and at times I will want to quit. I will want to move back.

But as much as, I would love to go to Haiti and help. God is molding me, for another place in great need. When my number is called I will be ready, not completely, but much closer than right now.

My place in the world currently resides in the U.S.
Until further notice.

No comments: