Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Are You Intrigued By Jesus?

A couple of weeks ago I spoke in front of a group of homeless people. I had maybe, twenty or so show up. But before I go on, I must expound on my thought process for what I prepared for the homeless.

Homeless people hear a lot about Jesus. I think, at times they get sick of Jesus. The mystery of Jesus is no longer intriguing. People try to shove Jesus down their throat. Most believe they need Jesus and they do. But I'm beginning to believe, that a lot of them do believe. However the intrigue is not there anymore. I come to find that, people in dire needs have a strong faith in God. They have nothing else to lean on...

So I thought long and hard. Which led me to the story of Zacchaeus.(Luke 19:1-10) Zacchaeus was a short man, a tax collector. Zacchaeus was very wealthy, but when Jesus was coming through Jericho. Zacchaeus wanted to see, but was too short. So he climbed a sycamore tree. Jesus saw this and "when Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, "Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today." So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly.

Zacchaeus was intrigued by Jesus. Jesus saw his intrigued by him climbing the sycamore tree. I used this story for the homeless, to ask them are you intrigued by Jesus? Most people know the story of Jesus and what he is about. But are they intrigued enough to climb the tree?

Some have climbed the tree and have come off. Others are for the first time experiencing this intrigue of Jesus, the mystery.....

I gave a simple story with a simple question. That is all I wanted to accomplish. Hopefully, those people self examined this question. Which leads me, to this post....

We should always be intrigued by Jesus. There are times when we are not, but why?

Jesus wants us, to always be on the tree. But we got to put effort into it.

Intrigued????

No comments: