Sunday, June 8, 2008

IF.....................

As I watched the Lakers almost put off. One of the most historic comebacks ever. I was interrupted by my lovely sister(Mariana). She told me her friend Megan was here, so I came out of my basketball occupied mind. Gave her a hug and said hi, and asked how life was treating her. Then suddenly, they turned to the present my brother received from his chica for graduation. Girls will be girls so they salivated over the fact of finding out what he got. They dug their hands in, and a red book came out. The title of this little book was IF............. So we started asking questions in the book. That have the word if incorporated in every question. The questions vary from asking what's your ideal celebrity spouse, what country would you teleport to, what aspect of your life would you focus more on. I responded to the question with school, my sis and her friend responded with church. It hit me that a lot of people are stuck on if with Jesus.

If I put him first............
If I went to church...............
If I read the Bible..............
If God loves me..................
If I didn't sin so much...........
etc

If is a very powerful word, that leads to some questions. But,as I sat there and asked why they responded that way. I thought I shouldn't ask why? But, how?

How can I be a witness..................
How can I invite them to church............
How do I approach this person...............
How can I further my relationship with God.........
How do I read the Bible.................
How can I serve him/others..........
etc

How is just as powerful as if, perhaps even more powerful. From my personal experiences how comes with results. How becomes now and now becomes WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had the words to the "give me words to speak" song swimming through my head for no (apparent) reason, so I googled the lyrics to see what God was telling me by putting them in my head... I came across your blog. I gather you're pretty young (still in high school, maybe?) but you have some pretty profound thoughts! I especially loved your "if" posting: "How is just as powerful as if, perhaps even more powerful. From my personal experiences how comes with results. How becomes now and now becomes WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" - what a powerful reminder, not just for what we do to directly witness for God but for how we lead our whole lives. You are definitely right: "How" is much more powerful than "If"... asking ourselves "how" takes us on a path to action; saying "if" just gives us an excuse to keep on doing nothing. Way to go! Thanks for reminding me :) I pray and hope that you will keep on living for Jesus, and that you will not lose the strength that faith gives you. I pray that you continue to witness your faith and help others, just as your faith helped me today.