Friday, July 10, 2009

A Little Thing Called Impact

We try to leave a legacy worth remembering. Or at least one that makes people sit and ponder. We all have this yearning to be noticed and glorified for what we have accomplished. Some would try the humble pie. However, the need to know and be told. That you are an impact is overwhelming.

When your young, or really far down the line of life. You start to brainstorm "how can I make a difference" Great question, yet answered in so many different ways. Some believe making money, getting married, and living the "American dream" is where its at.

Some approach it, differently and say how naive. They would rather go to Africa and help those in need. Deep down inside their motives are wrong.

Not all, but I believe it starts at motives. We all have some sort of impact on someone or something. Yet we need to know it. For self gratification, who knows?

The motive is what drives us, to do what we are doing.

I know we all want to make a difference. Here are some suggestions

Love your enemies
Honor your father and mother
Befriend those who are alone
Feed the hungry
Clothe the naked
Let you faith be your measure for you success
and list goes on

Those are all deviant to what the world thinks. But we all have made an impact. When we perish from this earth. Many will gather in our name. They will mourn their lost. But with what you do, and without seeking the recognition.

People will remember, I always like to think. That I want to live my life so passionately for Christ. That others are impacted by me through the power of God. That they pay if forward.

Not for their glory but HIS

Impact isn't small. It just starts out that way.
Your worth more than you know. Stay steadfast.

3 comments:

archie said...

you are making a great start at doing life right...

Anonymous said...

Amen brother. You speak the truth boldly and without compromise. Motives must be exposed for what they are, for it is crucial to know the validity of the things we do or plan to do.

I pray that we, the Church, can all seek to be about and desire only one thing: the glory of God (and all that it entails). I pray that we die to self and any sense of the "need" of achievement, glory, and fame. I pray we make Jesus "The Famous One," as Chris Tomlin sings in a song by the very same title. I pray that our clay is made yielding to the Master Potter to shape as He sees fit.

I pray that my life, when it is over, is marked by the pursuit of God... and not of myself.

jose said...

Praise God, Archie.

Jeff, thanks, for the thoughts. Its hard to maintain, your motives in a godly fashion. But when motives are set out, for the Lord. Amazing things, happen.