Monday, March 29, 2010

The Simplicity Project

Simplicity is a word that has been running through my head lately. I have really been convicted by the luxuries I'm able to experience. But simplicity, still comes to mind.

I'm beginning to realize that, simplicity lies in the the intent. Simplicity can easily become a fad, flavor of the week thing. Simplicity runs deeper then some fad, its about look within yourself to the very depths. Asking do I really need this? Have I become, what I buy? Sure people ask those questions, but why do they ask those questions?

What is the reason?

I see myself as a project of simplicity, as I grow more mature in walk with Christ. I start to let go of things like video games, eating out every day, going on a shoe shopping spree. Sure, those are materialistic things, but can't we even get more simplistic? Think about it, if your neighbor has a lawn mower use his, instead of buying one for yourself. Better yet, have two lawn mowers for the whole street. People sharing, and coming together as a community. In a perfect world, I know. But simplicity is very attainable.

Buy why is it, so hard?

Think about it, do we really need that coffee every day? Or indulging our taste buds with expensive food, when we have food at home. How much clothes is hanging in your closet that you don't use, or even know you have?

Simplicity is hard and takes time, growth.I'm not saying to rid yourself, of everything, but they are things we have, consume, that we don't need. Its about finding that healthy medium in the craziness of life. But above all its about the life Jesus led. Jesus was a man of simple taste. Emulating that simple taste is the tricky and finding time to indulge ourselves in a good way is even harder. What Christ stood for was not complex, but in the very essence simple, he has simplicity written all over him. Love your neighbor, don't lean on your own understanding, cloth the poor, feed the hungry, pick your brother up when he is down.The world makes the ways of Jesus seem complex.

We all are projects of simplicity. How far along are you?

No comments: