Monday, April 26, 2010

One Door Closes, Another Opens

April 26, 2010 what would seem like a normal Monday. Will be a Monday of reflection, and seeing opportunity on the horizon. A Monday that will challenge people to practice, what they have learned. A Monday to see one door close, while another opens.

For the past 3 years I've gone downtown to feed the homeless. What started as, a simple, heart felt endeavor, became a weekly reminder too many of a huge need. A way to quench their thirst of wanting to serve, to meet the homeless where they call home. A bridge, with trash out numbering the people, the occasional stray dog. The random noises of downtown, the bail bonds that surround the bridge, and the diverse group of people who sleep down there.

That bridge became our mission field. What started out as feeding and encouraging on a weekly basis became, well, more than a weekly basis commitment. Investment was required and for many of us, it was a first.

I'm not mad, or disappointed about the ending of serving the homeless. The need is still there, but what started out as 5 people, is now 30 plus. 30 plus people who love to serve people in dire need. 30 people who now see homeless people as, fellow human beings. All of us, have allowed Jesus to stir something within us. It's different for all of us, but the motivation is what remains the constant.

I'm excited for what is in store for all of us. I know what has been learned, will truly be the blessing of someone else. Personally,I've learned a lot, lessons I will keep forever. The three things, I've learned in my 3 year stint.

1.Passion and obedience are hand in hand.

2.Investing in people, requires humility.

3.Good can come from anybody, even a homeless drunk person.

As I type this, I can't help but smile. I see all that God has done and it was good. But he's not done yet, for the whole group. We will be serving in different ways now, but the fire is there and brighter than ever. We are just changing the venue. We will be reaching more people, with what we have learned. Smile.

One door closes, another opens.
God is good!

No comments: