Wednesday, June 2, 2010

All In The Family

As the circle started to form, a circle of chairs. One by one each student talked about their experience, background with the language better know as spanish.

Everyone went around and expressed their desire to further their knowledge of spanish. With the majority of the class hispanic, we expressed how we wanted to carry on the language, when we start our own family. That taking the class was beyond just honing in on the language, but preserving the culture we came from.

It got me thinking, what are customs, traditions, that we want to carry on to our family? Or if you have a family, how has your family's background, effected the way your family runs.

So I started to think, what will I carry on to my family? Culture is very important, to everyone, we all come from different backgrounds. I know spanish is very important to me, that I would love that my kids know more than one language. There are plenty of other things, I can't think of them, right now.

But I know that in time, the culture my parents have exposed me to, has effected me. Culture is very powerful, very unique.

So back, to my class. I was looking around the room at all the different faces. We may look similar, speak the same language. But we all come different roads and want to keep it all in the family. So that, we can carry on a culture that is very special to us.

No comments: