Monday, December 6, 2010

Mariela

As Christmas nears, I found myself once again reflecting. This year, feels different then most. But my thoughts led me, to people who work tirelessly for others. But never receive enough credit.

This leads me, to Mariela. She is from Panama. She is in many ways my grandma's saving grace. She cooks, drives, and maintains the house for my grandma. My grandma lives in a very rural city outside of Panama City. Mariela lives with her and makes her live easier. My Grandma has had multiple surgeries on her legs and hips. Which makes walking a laboring task.

On top of helping my grandma. She teaches at a center in one of the roughest neighborhoods in Panama, for free. On the side she makes pastries for some extra money. She is always working, never a day off and she always has a smile on her face. She loves to serve others. Every time, I visit I am overwhelmed by her selflessness. She never thinks about herself.

When we go on our annual mission trip to Panama. She is always cooks for us. She makes the calls to our contacts, she does a lot of the foot work.

What Mariela does has impacted me. In many ways, humbled me too. She has helped my only living grandparent. The only grandparent I have gotten to know personally. As she gets older I know her time is running out. So, knowing she is helping my Grandma is very reassuring. I consider Mariela family, my mom does as well. Our famliy knows the importance of what she is doing. She just does it. Never asks, complains.... that is powerful!

Which leads me to this. Is there a Mariela in your life? Someone who is always doing the small, yet very powerful things of life. Is there someone who never gets credit for what they do?

Mariela this if for you. May God Bless you for your honest example.

No comments: