Monday, March 21, 2011

The Cost Of Honesty

I parked my car, grabbed my backpack and started to walk towards campus. Suddenly, I heard a loud noise, metal colliding against metal. A guy had swung his car door to hard and hit some one's car. The hit was minor, nothing to fuss about. However, the guy went to his dashboard pulled out a pen,notebook and started jotting down his information.

Honest, right? There are many scenarios that require honesty. The reality is a lot of times its easier not to be honest. No one was around the car that the guy scarped. He could have easily walked away. No one would have known. I bet the owner of the hit car would not even recognize the mark.

But this individual, took the liberty of making sure the owner had his contact information. Who knows what will come of it. But it cost something. Perhaps, nothing that will make the guy cringe, but he hit the car.

A lot of times we are put in a scenario where it is quite obvious that we need to be honest. Sometimes the cost is high or relatively low. Regardless, honesty is important. Honest does cost something: reputation, relationships, security, money etc.

Honesty is not about comfort or convenience. Its about, owning up to what you need to be honest about.

The question that lingers in my mind.

Will I be honest, even if it proves costly?

No comments: