Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Burden

As a missionary, its important to take an interest in the people you will be dealing with. To be honest, its has taken time for me,to really understand this concept.

Not that I don't see the importance of what I'm doing. But as I get ready for the big move, I have really developed a burden for the Japanese people. Like Americans, the Japanese struggle with materialism, vanity, and the busyness of life. However, Japan does differ, compared to most developed countries.

Japan has a high suicide rate, depression is common, and the Japanese culture allows no room for error. Over time, I began reading and studying the nuances of the Japanese culture. To understand the plight, that the Japanese culture has produced on its own, one must enter into the Japanese world. I will be doing that soon.

That's what makes missions tricky, once you begin to feel for the people. You develop a connection, a heart for the people. In time, the harsh realities of the culture will be evident daily. But half the battle is simply acknowledging, that its imperative to develop a heart for the people. Which helps the overall goal.

To glorify God.

I have grown a burden for the people of Japan. I want to help and tell them about Jesus. So, that they can see there is hope. Their sins have been forgiven, there is no shame.

In time, I will be unable to imagine my life without the Japanese people.

Its funny how that works......

No comments: