Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Questions?

I've been blessed, to have multiple opportunities to go around the world. To see different cultures, people, and beliefs. In general, I love to travel and see something new. I've been on countless mission trips, and seen incredible things.

I know God has called me to the mission field. I love helping people, and letting them know there is hope. So for the time being, I'm in school and I'm aching to finish so I can go in missionary mode 24/7. Sure I have a lot to learn, and God hasn't giving the green light to go full time. Not to mention on the dynamics that are involved to make it a reality.

But as I go down every Monday night to feed the homeless. I've really started to get to know people. Their names, stories, and for the few, their fears. But as the ministry goes along. You run into people who ask, hard to answer questions. The questions, that make you pause for a moment.

Every Monday, we provide food, drinks, and a listening ear. We also provide prayer and encouragement. But we get individuals who come over and ask for......... well, for more.

Like, "I don't need food I need a job" "Can I have 20 dollars?" " I don't want soup I want a home" "Can you bail my boyfriend out of jail?" "Why are you doing this?" "Why do you have money and not me?"As much as, it breaks my heart for anybody to be living in the streets. Is there a limit to what we can do? Is it that we are afraid to across that line to the unknown?

Helping out a complete stranger. Why is it so hard?

That if we go to far, we can't get out? But wait! We are helping people in dire need, right? So why is, it so hard to accommodate those needs. Is there something about strangers that scares people away. Which gives them reason to not help. That if we, do help, what would be the cost?

But is their a limit to what we can do?
Will food and a listen ear, be sufficient?
For those in need?

No comments: