Tuesday, February 10, 2009

What Is History?

I'm a history major, and I know people, tell me. I can't do anything with a history degree. But that's beside the point. My first upper division course of history. Where I had 15 people in a class, instead of a thousand. The professor assigned E.H. Carr's What is History?

To be honest, it was nothing groundbreaking(to me). If anything, it got me confused about history. The writing was interesting, to a certain point.

However, it did, break down all those assumptions I had of history. I bought a copy of the book. I haven't even finished it yet. But it challenged me to think about the question. What is history?

History to me is, a discipline that encompasses a variety of other disciplines. History allows people to go beyond the noticeable and dig deeper. History informs, challenges, and inspires. History grabs a topic, so specific and covers it on a grander scale. History answers the, so what?

That's my take.

What is history to you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dude...work on your grammar

Carlos