Monday, December 14, 2009

Break The Mold: Keep Your Word

Oaths
33"Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord.' 34But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; 35or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

Matthew 5:33-37

Why is it so hard to keep our word? Is it the commit issue? Is it, just lip service we give to people?

What is it?

From as far as I can go back in my life. My dad has always, pushed that I keep my word. That when I said yes, that I would follow through. Even when I have to say no, that I maintain what I said. Now that I have gotten older. I'm beginning to realize "keeping thy word" is hard for a lot of people. We say, we will, I'll be there, I will call you, Let's hang. But nothing happens. Why?

Death of many friendships is by not keeping your word. In an age, where its common to say "let's hang" but the expression is used in the heat of the moment. It sounds good at the time. Yet, after everything is done. We realize we didn't mean what we said. It's gotten to the point of it, being habitual to many. We obtain so many phone numbers, That we supposedly intended on calling. Yet, we allow the numbers to accumulate. That one person may have been waiting for a call. They may need help, a friend, shoulder to cry on. But it starts from the beginning, if you don't intend on hanging out. We are usually pretty good on making that happen.

We must change our mindset and be men/women of our words. A lot more would be accomplished. A lot of pain could be avoided.

We allow laziness to slip in. We become selfish, we don't see the point of keeping our word. For one moment, think about how you can improve this? We all love to give lip service, because its easy, it requires very little from us. We just simply move our mouths.

But putting our words in to actions. Requires that we sacrifice our time, our hearts, and ears. Keeping your word is an old custom, once held so high. Is now an after thought to many. So inconvenience yourself in a world where many have no concept of oaths, promises, or covenants.

Break the mold, keep your word!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lot of wisdom in your words. The point is driven home with, "I will pray for you." Will you really?

jose said...

Yes sir, often times church people say it, because it sounds nice.

The challenge is to pray, because you said you would. But more importantly, pray because you want too.

joel said...

Well said Jose! I am going through this now and I feel that what you have said and they way you have lived your life has truly impacted me in a positive way. Thank you for this post, very inspiring!

jose said...

No problem Joel.