Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Elephant in the Room

" In case there's anybody who wandered in and doesn't know the back story, my dad always taught me that when there's an elephant in the room, introduce it. If you look at my CT scans, there are approximately ten tumors in my liver, and the doctors told me I have three to six months of good health left. That was a month ago, so you can do the math."

I'm currently reading The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. It's about a guy who it diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and is given 3-6 months to live. He will be leaving a wife, and three kids all under the age of 5.

When told about this demoralizing news. He embarks on a journey to let somethings go,leave memories for his kids and his wife. But, what really got every one's attention was this "Last Lecture." This lecture he gives his about how he fulfills his life dreams, and marries an awesome wife etc. Which has given him air time with Oprah and, all the nice PR stuff. But, that's not what I'm blogging about.

The exert on started which resides with in the first couple of pages of the book. It got me thinking about elephants that are in the room for us. Do we introduce them like Mr Pausch? Do we even know it they exist? Or do we choose to ignore it? As we all know elephants are huge animals. Who have the ability to crush almost anything they put there lovely trunks on (Or their one stomp and your dead, feet).

We all have elephants in our lives it could be the equivalent of a giant, if you must. But, the heart of the issue, or at least for me his taking the initiative to introduce it. I've seen all to many times in my short lived life. That I have a elephant some people many know about some may not. But God knows and he is wanting me to come with terms with it. To push away my pride,selfishness, and my shortage of boldness and obedience!

I've also seen it in other peoples lives as well. Why is so hard to realize our shortcomings,fears, doubts(elephants)? Especially when we know God cares and wants to help. But we still remain stubborn.

What I got out of Mr.Pausch announcing his elephant to a audience of 500 plus. Was it's a necessary, awkward unpleasant thing we all must face. It's just reassuring to know that we have a God who forgives like he does.

No comments: