Friday, November 21, 2008

The Comment Messaging Phenomenon

What is it about comments, text messaging, and just messaging in general? Millions of Americans everyday day go on to their myspace or facebook (or any social network gathering) to check what they have received. I am guilty of doing this everyday. But why are we so crazy about comments and texting? People rather have conversations through the comments online or through texting. Whatever happen to a good face to face or phone conversation? Sure texting and commenting are convenient and the hip thing to do at the time. There are legitimate reason as to why people do message etc.

But its sad to see that people get so caught up in it. That at times they base their self -worth, popularity, I will even go further and say identity. On how many comments, messages they receive. My senior year in high school I got introduced to texting. I knew what it was, I had an idea of how to do it. But as I started to text I had a girl in my english class who saw my texting skills were not update. So she showed me the way. This girl could text with a phone in each hand eyes closed (completely insane!). It dawned on me that this was far more than just a means to communicate. It became life to some people. I have friends who can't live without their phone or checking to see if they got comments and from whom.

I check to see if I have comments. Quite frankly it makes me happy when I get comments. I feel loved and encouraged. But I refuse to let it dictate the way I do things. How I approach my day, its to insignificant and useless for it to do that. Before I deleted myspace (which was last week) I looked up at how many comments I had total. Over a 3 year span I received 223 comments. Which in the comment messaging world. Makes me a bona fide loser score!

I forget my phone a lot in my car. So I miss calls from time to time or text. But their are people who will freak out not knowing if they have been contacted. Its amazing, its not like they are the president. Sure they maybe important to a handful of individuals. But why can't they wait? It really makes me mad when people do it in church, during prayer, when someone is talking to them. I think its disrespectful. It tells me hey hold on, this message is more important.

I know I may be the black eye pea of the bunch. But I would be OK if I never texted again. Some people would have to rushed to the hospital. I'm not saying I am better than people who love to text. What I am saying, is there is far more to worry about in life. Then what you got posted on your facebook, or who texted you.

If you don't know what is more important. Start with this starving kids in Africa, homeless people, abused women, your family, church, school, your country's current state, and the list goes on...............................................

No comments: