Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Reflecting On History

In my room I have a poster of Martin Luther King Jr (MLK). On it is the I have a dream speech. I read it time to time to get inspired. I have always been a huge admirer of MLK.

Last night as I saw Barack Obama become the first black president- elect. I realize I was watching history in the making. One that will be talked about for years to come. The tears that Oprah and Jesse Jackson displayed. The impact was undeniable and touching.

To see the emotions let out by black people across the nation. Even in Kenya, Africa I saw a video of them jumping and shouting for Obama. It's not so much about Obama. Has it is about what has been overcome. I am not black, I am Hispanic. With two parents who are foreign to the United States. Obama's victory really resonated with me. I'm considered a minority in this country. I too have been discriminated for my color, background etc.

It was inspiring to see how much not only the blacks have overcome. But how far we've gone as a nation. I smile for the black people this is huge for them! For all those years of suffering. They have truly overcome. It's huge for everyone, but minorities in particular. As I reflect from last night I see a glimmer of hope not just in Obama. But in We The People of the United States. The road will be a long and hard. But who thought it be easy?

All I can see is MLK smiling saying "I Have A Dream, We Shall Overcome"

1 comment:

Shaan :) said...

Good to come across a blog like yours,

I've been going mad looking for blogs where I can actually read!

Really liked this entry.
keep writing.

And hey, Can I have the I Have A Dream Speech!?

Cheers,
Shaan